AAS Restoration

24 Hour Emergency Service


Tuesday, Nov. 14th 2017

Fire Damage Prevention During The Holidays

Fire damage from holiday fires claim more than 500 lives each year, according to the American Red Cross, resulting in approximately $554 million in fire damage. With fireplaces and cooking for the holidays, the hazards that could cause issues are numerous. Your home, your pets and belongings are at risk.

AAS-Restoration-holiday-Fire-Damage-Kansas-CityThere are several factors that increase the risk of fire damage during the holidays, ranging from the fireplace and use of candles and Christmas tree lights, to cooking hazards. The beauty from the lights and candles and softly glowing fire is immeasurable – unless it ‘gets out’ and accidents happen and it all goes up in smoke. It’s extremely important that you exercise caution and keep fire safety a priority during all your holiday decorating and festivities. AAS Restoration has a few suggestions to help prevent fire damage to your Kansas City home this holiday season.

When selecting a fresh-cut tree, make sure the tree is fresh; check that the needles are not dry and shedding. Keep the tree watered so that it doesn’t dry out. Do not place the tree near the fireplace, a wood-burning stove or lit candles. If you buy an artificial tree, make sure it is one of the fire-resistant varieties. Christmas lights add beauty and dazzle to the look and atmosphere but if not in good condition can cause fire damage. Make sure the lights are all working, the wires are not frayed or broken, and do not use more than three strands of lights on each extension cord.

This includes outdoor decorations and features, as well as indoor. Make sure extension cords and lights are labeled appropriately for indoor or outdoor use, and be sure to inspect the wires and bulbs and plugs for signs of fraying. When using lights outdoors, fasten them securely, and always plug outdoor lights and decorations into a grounded (GFCI) outlet, or use a surge protector.

Check space heaters before using – if the cord is damaged or it is not operating properly, don’t use it. Never leave it on for long periods of time, and especially when you are away from home. Always turn off the Christmas tree lights and unplug all non-essential electronics and appliances when you leave your home, even for a short while.

Children should be supervised closely whenever fireplaces, wood-burning stoves and other open flames are in use. Use a fireplace screen and never burn trash, such as gift wrap paper, in the fireplace or stove.

Inspect all smoke detectors and replace with fresh batteries. Fire damage in homes around the holiday period is significantly increased because reported home fires did not have working smoke detectors, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).

When cooking for the holidays, do not overload the circuits. Electrical circuits in your house are designed for a specific load. By plugging too many electrical cords into one outlet or by plugging too many extension cords together, they can potentially overheat and start a fire.

deep fry turkey fire damage aas restoration kansas cityA turkey dinner can be a delicious holiday meal, but it can be hazardous to cook, especially if you plan to deep-fry it. Serious burns have occurred from using a deep fryer for the turkey. To prevent serious injury, always deep fry the turkey outdoors using a completely thawed turkey. Water in the hot oil from a partially frozen turkey can cause the oil to splatter or boil over. Using leather gloves may protect against burns.

By taking precautionary measures you can protect your home from fire damage. Be responsible and use common sense in handling electrical and flammable materials.

Call AAS Restoration at  (816) 861-1550 and we will provide you with options for fire damage restoration in Kansas City. Or contact us via our website at: https://www.aasrestoration.com/

Posted in fire damage, fire damage kansas city, Fire safety procedures, Holdiay fire damage | Comments Off on Fire Damage Prevention During The Holidays

Master Shingle Applicator CertainTeed
GAF Certified
Owens Corning Platinum Roofing Contractor
Indoor Air Quality

Locally Owned Since 1982
AAS Restoration
3131 Wheeling Avenue
Kansas City, Missouri 64129

24 Hour Emergency Service


AAS Restoration Service Area

Basehor, Belton, Blue Springs, Bonner Springs, Buckner, Claycomo, De Soto, Edgerton, Edwardsville, Excelsior Springs, Fairway, Garden City, Gardner, Gladstone, Grain Valley, Grandview, Greenwood, Harrisonville, Higginsville, Independence, Kansas City, Kearney, Lake Lotawana, Lake of the Ozarks, Lake Winnebago, Lansing, Lawrence, Lawson, Leavenworth, Leawood, Lee's Summit, Lenexa, Lexington, Liberty, Lone Jack, Louisburg, Merriam, Mission, Mission Hills, North Kansas City, Oak Grove, Odessa, Olathe, Osawatomie, Ottawa, Overland Park, Paola, Parkville, Peculiar, Platte City, Plattsburg, Pleasant Hill, Pleasant Valley, Prairie Village, Raymore, Raytown, Richmond, Riverside, Roeland Park, Saint Joseph, Shawnee, Smithville, Spring Hill, Sugar Creek, Tonganoxie, Topeka, Warrensburg, Weatherby Lake, Wellsville, Westwood, and other areas.